Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Miss Inquisitive: A Fashion Croquis

I sketch a lot at work but it is flat sketching for tech packs in Adobe Illustrator. It's been a while since I've really sat down and just sketched for hours. But last night and today I was feeling in the mood for it, perhaps because of the spike in page views for my Artist Showdown Contest between Anthony Resto and Greta Corens. Please make sure to visit their respective posts (and check out the links to their portfolios). All views to their posts and each comment counts as a vote. Voting ends Sunday night at Midnight Central Standard Time. So make sure to check them out before then!
Miss Inquisitive, CC Selena Marie Norris

As for my sketching, it was raining all day today so I didn't feel much like going out. I opened the windows and listened to the rain pour down while I watched back to back episodes of Fringe on Netflix. I could smell the scent of the rain while sketching and I just got lost in what I was doing. It was lovely. This sketch is the result of a couple of hours (give or take the time it takes to make a phone call, pepare dinner, and work on a press release for a friend). 

I was initially wary of adding the background, but I quite like it now. It is a good representation of the color story I wanted for the design. So much of fashion sketching feels utilitarian in nature- just the purpose of getting the design ideas out of my head and onto paper. In this case, I decided I wanted to approach my croquis drawing more as fine art illustration (perhaps slightly influenced by the artists I've been in contact with lately), playing with the proportions and emphasizing color. This sketch was made with Prismacolor markers, Prismacolor, Crayola, and Rose Art colored pencils, and a black ink pen on Strathmore 50 lb (74 g/m squared) paper. I love bobble heads, so this was sort of inspired by that. I've included some process photos below. I am pretty happy with how it turned out! Let me know what you think!

 Miss Inquisitive, Detail, CC Selena Marie Norris

Process Photo of Sketch, CC Selena Marie Norris

Miss Inquisitive, Process Photo of Sketch, CC Selena Marie Norris

All of the above images are protected under Creative Commons. You may use these images in their current state for non-commercial/non business use. Permission must be obtained to use these images for any business purpose. Please do not edit or use these images in your artwork. If referencing these images in a blog, social media, or etc, attribution to the initial source (Selena Marie Norris) and a link back to this post must be included. Thank you.


Are you an artist ready to share your work? Contact me or share your information below if you are an artist or know an artist that should be featured. Make sure you let me know you would like to be featured!
Twitter: @selenamarie318  
or LinkedIn Connect with a message: linkedin.com/in/selenamarienorris
Or reply in the comment section below!
And please don't forget to subscribe or follow by email! There's a spot in the side bar! ------->

XOXO,

SELENA MARIE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...