Search This Blog

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Life Update: Cupcakes, Butterflies, & Bumble Bees


In the midst of my busy-bee past two weeks, I received a lovely email at work from one of my global counterparts (read: overseas) who announced that she reads my blog! Her very kind words stuck with me this week. It's easy to lose track of how many readers I actually have because I don't get a ton of comments. 

Sometimes the little things like this can pick you up when you are tired after a series of long days.

Thank you- you know who you are. :)




Another pick-me-up is baking. I love it. I like baking more than I like actually eating sweets. This week our team at work did a fundraiser to help an associate in need. We did a hot dog lunch out on the grill -yes in November. This is the South after all, though not the "deep South," and while the weather has been all over the place (winter coats one day, windows open the next), we got decent weather for our event. I noticed there weren't any desserts on the menu so I volunteered to make some! I can never pass up an excuse to make cupcakes!

Forgive my quick photos taken with my phone- this is for inducing hunger- not for photographic artistry. Don't they still look yummy? :)



 They were a big hit! I made a vanilla funfetti cake with blue and red sprinkles and dyed the batter blue. Then I piped on orange colored vanilla frosting! YUM! It sort of matches my company colors but in pastel versions.



 I topped them off with these butterfly and bumble bee toothpicks, my coworker Marie gave me last year. I've been saving them for just the right time. This is perfect!

I used this boxed mix for the cupcakes. Above photo courtesy of  myhighestselfblog.com

I also made Betty Crocker "Hot Chocolate" Cupcakes! It's a box mix that comes with a frosting mix that you have to mix up. I made it once before and the frosting ended up getting renamed as a "glaze". This time I was finally able to whip that frosting into shape.Whapppuchuuu (that's supposed to be the sound of a whip, if you don't know.). Pun intended (whipped frosting- get it?). And yes, the marshmallow whipped frosting stays peaked overnight.




Side note: I used to be a home-made cupcake snob, but then I found out that a lot of cupcake bakeries use the premixed boxes as a base and adjust for their recipes! So now I am open to opening up a box and whipping up a batch of semi-homemade cupcakes. I found out they taste just as good! Besides, the most important ingredient is love and you can't find that in a box. <3




Overall this past week has been a very productive (read: busy) week at work, and I've been spending my down time at home working on some Christmas presents ( 1 down, 6 to go) and craft projects. It's quite therapeutic knitting on my knitting loom. I want to get back to knitting and crocheting. It has been a while and I thought this was the perfect way to pick back up where I left off.

After a long week like that I decided I deserved a break, so Saturday morning I slept in... 


And not a stitch of make-up on either of us. ;)


Do you like baking, sewing, knitting, or any other type of crafting?


Twitter: @selenamarie318  
or LinkedIn Connect with a message: linkedin.com/in/selenamarienorris
Or reply in the comment section below!
And please don't forget to subscribe or follow by email! There's a spot in the side bar! ------->

XOXO,

SELENA MARIE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...